Short Course on Computer Hardware & Software Maintenance
The Directorate ICT offers a short course on computer maintenance. In today’s world, computer technology has become part and parcel of our everyday lives. However, the basic knowledge on how to maintain them is still lacking. Hence, the purpose for this course is to try to bridge this gap.
PURPOSE OF THE COURSE:
The course aims to equip participants with basic knowledge and skills about computer hardware and software maintenance and troubleshooting of common problems.
SPECIFIC COURSE OBJECTIVES:
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Assemble and disassemble a PC
- Upgrade a PC with newer devices such as RAM
- Perform OS and application software installation and configuration
- Install computer device drivers
- Install and troubleshoot hardware and application programs
- Identify and correct common faults in system unit components.
- Identify and correct common faults in I/O devices.
- Identify and correct common faults in OS components and drives.
- Identify and correct common faults in software applications.
- Utilize operating system components, diagnostic software and supplied documentation to detect and correct faults.
- Identify types of computer viruses and the methods of removing and protecting against them.
- Install and upgrade of Antivirus software
- Perform computer maintenance using various tools such as ComboFix and Advanced System Care
- Install and troubleshoot computer peripherals such printers etc.
- Explain the basic building blocks of a computer network
The course is essential to those interested in acquiring skills in troubleshooting, computer repair, maintenance, and upgrading of many of today’s leading systems, applications, software programs and hardware.
The course attracts participants from both public as well as private sectors. Applicants should be proficient in English, evidence for the basic skills in computer and at least a form four leaving certificate is prerequisite. The first batch for this course will be given as a bonus an opportunity to do practical trainings for one week within MUHAS, following successful completion of their course.
- Introduction to computer hardware and software operating systems
- Dismantling and assembling personal computers
- Overview of PC environment (architecture and components)
- Motherboards, processor and hardware organization
- Interface adapters & peripherals
- Memory types and storage devices (identification and installation)
- Safety, care and handling
- Power supply setting up
- PC assembly and setup
- Verifying the assembly procedure
- Upgrading of personal computer devices
- Installation of Windows operating systems
- Installation of application programs such as Ms Office and Antivirus.
- Installation and testing peripheral devices
- Troubleshooting of common problems in personal computers
- Introduction to the basic building blocks of a computer network
- Setting up and troubleshooting a simple computer network
The training methodology will involve lectures, group work, simulations and presentations. Participatory methods will be encouraged throughout the course whereby group discussions and case studies will be used to facilitate participants understanding. Almost all the lectures will be followed by relevant practical sessions to ensure that participants are able to develop fundamental computer skills, along with essential computer support career skills.
The course will last for a period of four weeks, equivalent to 40 hours (10 hrs per week with 2 hrs lecture / practical session per day). 10 hours will be spent for lectures and demonstration of basic hardware and software devices, and 30 hours will be for practical sessions.
Participants will be evaluated and graded based on their ability to troubleshoot computer problems, replace computer parts and upgrade a computer. Each instructor involved in the course will fill-in an evaluation form for each participant (form attached at the end).
The fee for the entire course is TSH 350,000/= per participant covering for lectures, practical sessions and certificates. The fee should be paid upfront, before the start of the course.
Certificates will be awarded to participants upon satisfactory completion of almost 90% attendance to the course.
Applications enclosed with relevant certificates and a letter of intention should be sent to the address below. Online applications will also be accepted provided they adequately include relevant attachments
Directorate of ICT – MUHAS
Dar es Salaam.
Mobile: 0714 034829